Sunday, October 3, 2010

Untitled

I recently started using Titanium from appcelerator for mobile development and wanted to share some tips. Its actually more of the problems I encountered and solutions I discovered.

Problem 1 - A project created by my friend won't import properly on my machine. When I mean it won't import properly, titanium developer reported that the import was successful. But when I navigate to test & package tab, it would be blank. 

Solution: The problem here was that my friend did not commit the build directory that was created by titanium, to the repository. So when I imported the project there was no build directory in it. Titanium should ideally error out while importing or atleast give some sort of warning, but it did not do that. And normally as engineers, we assume that build directory contains some build output so we won't commit them. But you have to when you develop with Titanium.

Problem 2 - When I try to create a new mobile project, titanium will say "error creating project, try again" but nothing about what the error is.

Solution: the problem here was the default sdk version selected by titanium when I created a new project was not supported. So I had to change it to successfully create a project. Again, a generic message from titanium here doesn't help much. Once I change the sdk to 1.2.0 it was successful.

Posted via email from spartan's posterous

No comments: